[Curriculum Directors] Update: Digital Teaching and Learning Plans Approved by USBE

Young, Sarah Sarah.Young at schools.utah.gov
Fri Jan 13 17:54:35 MST 2017

Dear Curriculum Directors,

Today, the Utah State Board of Education considered the Digital Teaching and Learning Plans that had been previously granted provisional approval in November/December 2016.

I am pleased to let you know that the board has APPROVED the plans.  This is your FINAL APPROVAL necessary as per board rule R277-922<http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r277/r277-922.htm>.  Digital Teaching and Learning implementation can commence for those LEAs with approved plans.  (You can visit the Digital Teaching and Learning website<http://www.uen.org/digital-learning/leaplans.shtml> to see the LEA approved plans.)

Next steps:

1.       The Digital Teaching and Learning Funds will be available through a reimbursement process that will be housed in UCA.  This is to help streamline the process for your business administrators.

2.       School finance is finalizing the redistribution of funds for FY 2017.  (Note: USBE is committed to putting all of the available funds toward the approved plans for FY 2017.  You will note we shared projected funding levels FY 2017<http://www.uen.org/digital-learning/downloads/FundingProjections2017.pdf> at the start of this process, with numbers that were based on full participation.  Your budget will NOT decrease from these projections, but may increase.) As soon as we have the final budget amounts, we will ask each LEA to submit a final Budget Sheet A for the approved funding levels.  I will be sending that email to both the Superintendent/Charter Director and Technology Director next week as is necessary.

3.       Plan development support will now shift to implementation support from both USBE and UETN.  We are here to help you be successful implementing your plan with fidelity.  We will be sending you emails regarding implementation support events that will be taking place as we all move forward.  Please know you can reach out to us AT ANY TIME if you need support and assistance outside of these planned events.

4.       For those LEAs with planning grants or those who chose to defer participation until FY 2018, please know that we are working to develop the timeline for the next round of Digital Teaching and Learning grants with a tentative release of application in April 2017.  We look forward to growing the community of LEAs engaged in Digital Teaching and Learning.

Finally, it is with great appreciation that I have the opportunity to say THANK YOU.  This process has required each person to give countless hours to help launch this Digital Teaching and Learning Qualified Grant Program.  We have faced many challenges in establishing the program, developing robust plans, and acting in a truncated timeline.  I appreciate your leadership and commitment to your teachers and students in sticking with us as we blazed a new trail.  Your passion has inspired us throughout this process.  On behalf of all of the DTL team members and leaders at USBE, thank you.  We look forward to continuing to work with you as we move forward with implementation to support student success.

Sarah Young
Coordinator for Digital Teaching and Learning
Utah State Board of Education
sarah.young at schools.utah.gov<mailto:sarah.young at schools.utah.gov>
250 East 500 South
PO Box 144200