[Curriculum Directors] Digital Teaching and Learning Grants and Emails

Young, Sarah Sarah.Young at schools.utah.gov
Fri Oct 14 09:13:57 MDT 2016

Dear Curriculum Directors,

Recently, this office has become aware that there are entities that have been contacting districts letting them know tentative outcomes and impressions regarding the recently submitted drafts.  Language such as "reviewers were not pleased with the early applications and saw particular weakness in there being sufficient new tools to enhance SAGE" and "... some of the other architects of HB 277, we found that a majority of school districts will have their applications for the grant denied" are being sent to LEA's and have been forwarded to our office by our LEA partners with statements of concern.

I would like to be clear, at NO TIME has this office expressed any impressions of the recently submitted drafts.  We are committed to supporting a robust grant review process that adheres to confidentiality standards that are expected of such a review process. We are currently working with reviewers today, and look forward to providing each LEA constructive feedback from the October submission to support each LEA achieving a strong vision for digital and personalized learning.  We are committed to you as partners and leaders for our districts and charter schools.

It is unfortunate that these rumors are circulating and that I need to take time from your day to address them.  We appreciate your commitment to your students and teachers, and apologize for any confusion or stress this may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Sarah Young
Coordinator for Digital Teaching and Learning
Utah State Board of Education
sarah.young at schools.utah.gov<mailto:sarah.young at schools.utah.gov>
250 East 500 South
PO Box 144200