[Curriculum Directors] Costs for standards revision

Suddreth, Diana Diana.Suddreth at schools.utah.gov
Tue Jul 12 09:14:42 MDT 2016

Kathleen and others who are concerned,

At this time the Board is only collecting the data to see what revisions would cost in response to the governor’s request a few months ago.  The Standards and Assessment committee will receive this information, along with information regarding costs at our office, in the August Board meeting.  By Code any revision of the standards must take a minimum of a year, but our recent experience has been that while minor revisions can be completed in a year, a major rewrite (such as social studies is currently engaged in) can take as long as two years plus an additional year for professional development and assessment alignment.

At this time the Board is only seeking information that will help them in their decision-making process.  As always, they do enjoy hearing about things that are going well, especially in their own neighborhoods. If the current standards are working as you say, please do let policy-makers know.

Thank you,