[Curriculum Directors] Updates to Digital Teaching and Learning Grant FY 2017

Young, Sarah Sarah.Young at schools.utah.gov
Mon Aug 15 13:23:30 MDT 2016

Digital Teaching and Learning Grant Program Updates (HB 277)
Please see the program updates below and share with your teams as you see fit.

1.    September Bootcamp - Complete your Registration TODAY! - Registration Closes September 1, 2016                 https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/UTDigitalLearningBootcamp

a.       The following individuals are required to participate:

-          The school district superintendent or charter school executive director; and

-          The LEA's curriculum director; and

-          The LEA's technology director

-          A representative group of school leadership from schools participating in the program; and

-          Additionally, a member of an LEA's local school board or charter school governing board and other staff identified by the LEA may participate

2.    New Readiness Assessment Option Approved: http://ncdlplan.fi.ncsu.edu/rubric/

a.       At the recent Digital Teaching and Learning Advisory Board Meeting, the board approved the use of the North Carolina Digital Learning Progress Rubric (available in the above link or attached PDF) as an option for LEA's in lieu of the Future Ready Assessment.  This rubric supports LEA's completing their readiness assessment as required in the Digital Teaching and Learning final application.  If you have additional questions about this tool, please contact Sarah Young (sarah.young at schools.utah.gov<mailto:sarah.young at schools.utah.gov>).

3.    Option to Apply for Planning Grant for FY 2017

a.       In response to concerns over the expedited timeline this year, we are adding an option for LEA's to apply for a $5,000 planning grant for the FY 2017.  We have attached a document that provides an overview of the planning grant details. The planning grant has the following requirements:

                                                               i.      Attendance at September 2016 Bootcamp - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/UTDigitalLearningBootcamp

                                                             ii.      Meet E-Rate Requirements (articulated in attached planning grant details)

                                                            iii.      Deliverable by March 20, 2017 - Completion of the Readiness Assessment Tool (either Future Ready or the newly approved North Carolina Digital Learning Progress rubric)

                                                           iv.      Commitment to apply in FY 2018 with a full Digital Teaching and Learning Plan for consideration by USBE. If LEA's do not complete a full application for submission in FY 2018, they will be expected to repay the planning grant funds to USBE.

4.    Optional "Grant Plan Preparation" Workshops

a.       We have added two additional "Grant Plan Preparation" workshops in September 2016. These are intended to provide additional supports for our charter schools and LEA's who are looking for more time with USBE program leaders to support them in developing a draft before Bootcamp.  These are NOT REQUIRED. We will send out specific location details once we have an idea of how many people are interested in attending. Registration is for these events is included in the link with Bootcamp registration.

a.       Wednesday, September 14, 2016 from 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM in Salt Lake City, UT

b.      Thursday, September 15, 2016 from 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM in Spanish Fork, UT

5.    USBE Technical Support - Review of Drafts and Support Meetings

a.       USBE staff to Digital Teaching and Learning are happy to review draft language and/or set up times to come and meet with your team to support your efforts at drafting a plan.  Please don't hesitate to contact us with how we can support your plan development.

                                                               i.      Sarah Young - sarah.young at schools.utah.gov<mailto:sarah.young at schools.utah.gov>

                                                             ii.      Rick Gaisford - rick.gaisford at schools.utah.gov<mailto:rick.gaisford at schools.utah.gov>

Thank you for your commitment to bring digital and teaching and learning to scale in your community.  We look forward to working with you to support the development of your plan.

Sincerely,

Sarah Young
Coordinator for Digital Teaching and Learning
Utah State Board of Education
sarah.young at schools.utah.gov<mailto:sarah.young at schools.utah.gov>
250 East 500 South
PO Box 144200