[Curriculum Directors] GFL endorsement

Suddreth, Diana Diana.Suddreth at schools.utah.gov
Wed Apr 20 15:52:34 MDT 2016

Curriculum Directors

We want to make you aware of some important new information regarding the endorsement opportunities for General Financial Literacy.

The Utah State Board of Education has approved changes to the Financial Literacy Endorsement and directed staff to make the changes to allow individuals to qualify for the endorsement using one of four methods:

1) An individual with an undergraduate or graduate degree in business administration, marketing, finance, accounting, family and consumer science, business education, or economics;
2) an individual who taught a financial literacy course during a prior year, up through the 2015-2016 school year, and completes the USOE General Financial Literacy Boot Camp;
3) an individual completing the current procedures outlined on the USOE website; and
4) an individual completing a competency-based program.

As new information becomes available, we will share it with you.  New forms will be available on our website soon that address all options for earning the GFL endorsement.  To be clear - each teacher will need to make a formal application for the GFL endorsement through one of the four methods listed above.

Also - the GFL Boot Camp is a requirement for ALL GFL teachers regardless of the route you choose to earn your endorsement.  Boot Camp provides the professional development for teachers as required by state law.  Again Boot Camp is in addition to your endorsement requirements.

We appreciate all of the work that many teachers have gone to in order to meet the requirements for this new endorsement.  We believe that the coursework will make a positive impact on personal learning and on the quality of education provided to students.

Finally, the specific requirements for the competency route will be released soon.  We appreciate your patience and look forward to working with you.

Thalea Longhurst
Diana Suddreth

Thalea Longhurst
State Director, Career, Technical Education | UTAH STATE OFFICE OF EDUCATION
250 East 500 South | PO Box 144200 | Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4200
*  801-538-7889     * thalea.longhurst at schools.utah.gov
[cte-horiz-utah small]
Utah State Office of Education | Career & Technical Education | Learning That Works

Please note Utah has a very broad public records law.  Most written communication to or from our state employees regarding state business are public records available to the public and media upon request. Your email communication may be subject to public disclosure.
.