[Curriculum Directors] CORE Academy session for administrators CANCELLED

Cook, Tricia M. Tricia.Cook at schools.utah.gov
Mon Jun 3 16:40:09 MDT 2013

Dear Superintendent or Director,

We have been watching our registration numbers for the Core Academy Administrator Day carefully, and talking with district officials, to determine the best course of action for this professional development opportunity.  Our focus for administrators is to be able to support the kinds of instructional shifts expected for implementation of the new Core standards while effectively evaluating educators. Our feedback from the field suggests that the summer is not the best context for this work to happen with school administrators.

We have determined that the best way to approach this would be to work directly with your district focused on your needs and context. For those districts who have the capacity and already have training set up for new evaluation systems, we will work directly with you to see how we might help you design your fall professional development for principals to incorporate these concepts.  Our regional service centers will assist us in collaborating with smaller districts together in the fall to work with principals and leaders.  We will work with Marlies Burns to address the needs of charter schools.

Therefore, we are rescheduling our administrative day at Core Academy and focusing our efforts and resources this summer on the teachers.  We will be in touch with you in June to see how we might work together to achieve the intended outcome of effective educator evaluation that supports high quality instruction of Core standards.   We will send notices of the cancellation to registered participants in OnTrack and would appreciate you getting the word out as well.  Please don't hesitate to call should you have questions or suggestions.

Warm regards,

Sydnee Dickson
Director, Teaching and Learning
Utah State Office of Education
sydnee.dickson at schools.utah.gov<mailto:sydnee.dickson at schools.utah.gov>
(801)538-7788
Please note: Utah has a very broad public records law. Most written communications to or from state employees regarding state business are public records available to the public and media upon request. Your email communication may be subject to public disclosure.