[Curriculum Directors] Lexile Levels in Appendix A

Cook, Tricia M. Tricia.Cook at schools.utah.gov
Fri Apr 26 09:25:18 MDT 2013

Hello!

Many of you have read the recently released document titled "Supplemental Information for Appendix A of the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy: New Research on Text Complexity" from CCSSO and the National Governors Association. (http://www.corestandards.org/assets/E0813_Appendix_A_New_Research_on_Text_Complexity.pdf)

This document proposes new lexile levels different from those in Appendix A of our Utah Core Standards. The "updated" levels in Figure 1 stretch the band on either side of our current range.

The USOE is not considering a change to the lexile levels in Appendix A of the Utah Core Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy. Our current lexile levels are aligned with our state assessment system, SAGE (Student Assessment of Growth and Excellence) and promote the development of career and college ready high school graduates.

The SAGE assessment test, which will be the determination of student proficiency, is a computer-adaptive test. Therefore, the lexile bands will be based on the range in Appendix A and will extend above and below that range to ensure that students will have access to texts appropriate to their reading level. SAGE is designed to demonstrate individualized excellence for each student.

The Utah Core Standards for K-12 English Language Arts, including the Appendices, are online at http://www.schools.utah.gov/CURR/langartsec/Language-Arts-Secondary-Home/LangArts-CE-web.aspx

Thank you for your support of all Utah's students.

Tiffany Hall
K-12 Literacy Coordinator
Teaching and Learning
Utah State Office of Education
Please note: Utah has a very broad public records law. Most written communications to or from state employees regarding state business are public records available to the public and media upon request. Your email communication may be subject to public disclosure.