[Curriculum Directors] Common Core resolution

Cook, Tricia M. Tricia.Cook at schools.utah.gov
Fri Mar 9 15:21:23 MST 2012

Friends,
Most of you are aware by now that Resolution SCR 13 asking the Board to "reconsider" the adoption of the Common Core stalled in the House thanks to House leadership.  Therefore, the Board will not be bound nor will the inaccurate "Whereas" language be public.  There will, however, be a forum in the near future to ensure all voices are heard and myths are cleared up.  We will let you know when the event is scheduled so that you and your colleagues might attend in support of the Utah Core Standards.

All in all, it was a fairly good session.  Some bills that would have added to an already packed social studies curriculum failed.  The WPU stayed intact with voucher bills being defeated.  A few vendor bills that are unnecessary (and some unwanted) got through.  Deputy Supt. Menlove is preparing a summary of the session and will provide us with this in a couple of weeks.  In the meantime, if you need clarification or have questions, don't hesitate to call on us.

Thanks again, for being such great colleagues.  I hope you will feel motivated to go to your caucus meetings next week and ensure we have pro public education delegates in place.

Group hug,

Sydnee Dickson, Ed.D.
Director, Teaching and Learning
sydnee.dickson at schools.utah.gov<mailto:sydnee.dickson at schools.utah.gov>