[Curriculum Directors] From Fred Brown: Learning Forward's Academy Class of 2014

Cook, Tricia M. Tricia.Cook at schools.utah.gov
Wed Feb 1 14:34:52 MST 2012

Curriculum Directors,

As a former Learning Forward Academy member I can with confidence, say that this is a great learning opportunity that will have a positive and lasting impact on your system.  I encourage you to pass this information along to people who might be interested.  There are scholarships available if your system cannot afford the tuition.  It is a two year commitment but well worth it.

Syd Dickson
[cid:TNQDNRMNVMQT.IMAGE_1.png]
Dear Affiliate Colleagues,
Happy New Year! With a new year comes a new Learning Forward Academy class. We have learned over the years that a vast majority of Academy participants had the program recommended to them by a colleague. We are currently recruiting for the Class of 2014 and hope you will help us get the word out about Academy. The application deadline this year is March 15, 2012.  Please feel free to pass along the following information to those you think might be interested in joining the newest Academy class:
Academy Background:
In 1991, as part of an effort to increaseeducator effectiveness at the state, provincial, district, division, and school levels, Learning Forward (then NSDC) launched the first Academy. This inaugural group of 28 principals, teacher-leaders, and central office staff went on to become the first to earn their certificates as graduates of our premier program for professional learning. Since then, over 20 cohorts have followed, graduating over 1200 members. Academy graduates represent 48 states, five Canadian provinces, and four countries outside of North America.
The Academy is an extended learning experience that models the organization's vision for professional learning and teamwork in schools. Academy members work collaboratively to learn about and solve significant student learning “problems of practice” that occur within their school, district, division, state, province, or organization. Through immersion in a model of inquiry-based and problem-based learning, participants gain solutions to the problems they and others bring; experience a model of professional learning that exemplifies our Standards for Professional Learning; and construct knowledge and develop skills necessary to transform their learning, their work, and their organizations.Academy members include district administrators, superintendents, principals, teachers, and personnel from local, state, provincial, and national educational agencies, as well as university faculty, independent staff development providers, and leaders from nonprofit educational organizations.
Link to More Information & Application:
http://www.learningforward.org/opportunities/academy.cfm
Link to Academy Scholarship Information:
http://www.learningforward.org/getinvolved/chidleysummary.final.pdf
Also, attached to this email is a PDF of the new Academy promotional flyer.
Thank you so much for your continued support of the Learning Forward Academy!  Take care.
Fred
--
Frederick Brown
Director, Strategy and Development
frederick.brown at learningforward.org
www.learningforward.org<http://www.learningforward.org>
Every educator engages in effective professional learning every day so every student achieves.
Suzanne Cottrell
Assessment, Research, & Evaluation
Evaluation Supervisor &
Educator Assessment System (EAS) Coordinator
Davis School District
801-402-5173
FAX 801-402-5240

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
--Derek Curtis Bok