[Curriculum Directors] Common Core

Cook, Tricia M. Tricia.Cook at schools.utah.gov
Fri Oct 7 15:11:02 MDT 2011

Colleagues,

We are starting to get inquiries regarding a workshop coming to Utah on the Common Core State Standards.  The link to this workshop is http://commoncoreinstitute.org .  This is NOT sanctioned by USOE nor have we had any contact with this FOR PROFIT organization.  This is the old Curriculum Institute group who goes from city to city with a group of speakers and charges educators for a workshop.  You can make your own decision about attendance but understand that they will not be approaching mathematics from an integrated perspective and may not send the same message that USOE has been promoting.  Proceed with caution:)

In the meantime, we are working on a plan to roll out Common Core Academies this summer for K-5 and 7,8, and Secondary II mathematics.  We are simultaneously working on a plan, based on your input and feedback, about how to also support ELA, social studies, science, and technical subjects.  We will let you know of this plan on or before our meeting on November 9th.

In addition, the UASCD Conference will be held on Nov. 3rd and 4th.  The committee has planned a great conference around both mathematics and ELA CCSS and will be beneficial for all of us.  Mary Kay Kirkland and Ray Morgan are also working with ASCD to bring us an additional opportunity to convene educators this fall to further explore our implementation efforts.

We are so pleased with all of the hard work going on in the districts.  Thank you for being collaborative, thoughtful, insightful and hard working.  You are a magnificent group of colleagues!

Group hug,

Sydnee Dickson, Ed.D.
Director, Teaching and Learning
sydnee.dickson at schools.utah.gov<mailto:sydnee.dickson at schools.utah.gov>