[Curriculum Directors] Social Studies Survey: October 12 Deadline

Cook, Tricia M. Tricia.Cook at schools.utah.gov
Mon Oct 3 16:35:03 MDT 2011

2011-2012 Survey of Social Studies, Civic and Character Education
in Utah Public Schools

Dear Colleague:
The Utah State Board of Education has articulated the vision and mission of Utah public education.  The vision outlines specific civic and character education outcomes, including citizen participation in civic and political affairs, strong moral and social values, and loyalty and commitment to constitutional government. Data collection of our current social studies, civic and character education practices is vital if we are to reach that vision. Previous attempts at collecting this data have proven incomplete.
A yearly survey of current practices, found at this link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Y39XK7M , is now required by Utah law.  We need your assistance in completing this survey as quickly and as completely as possible.
Thank you in advance for insuring that this survey is completed by your district/charter by Wednesday, October 12, 2011.  We encourage as complete and thoughtful a response as possible, and welcome responses at the district/charter level as well as from specific school sites. Please disseminate this email to colleagues who can contribute to the data collection.
Sincerely,
Larry K. Shumway,                                                       Debra Roberts
Superintendent of Public Instruction                             Chair, Utah State Board of Education