[Curriculum Directors] High Ability Students

Cook, Tricia M. Tricia.Cook at schools.utah.gov
Tue Feb 1 16:37:55 MST 2011

[cid:image002.png at 01CBC22E.60980210]Memorandum
To:       Education Community
From:  Sydnee Dickson, Director, Teaching and Learning
Date:   February 1, 2011
Re:       High Ability Students
During our efforts to support systemic implementation of the Common Core State Standards we have heard concerns expressed regarding the opportunity for high ability students to accelerate through the mathematics coursework.  Of particular concern by some is the opportunity for students to reach calculus by their junior year.   Attached is a document addressing these questions along with a copy of Appendix A from the CCSS which describes the philosophy regarding high school math in middle school and acceleration options.  We hope this will be helpful as you engage in conversations with teachers, counselors, parents, and school leaders about student placement in the new CCSS mathematics courses.

Regards,

Sydnee Dickson, Ed.D.
Director, Teaching and Learning
sydnee.dickson at schools.utah.gov<mailto:sydnee.dickson at schools.utah.gov>