[Curriculum Directors] SMARTER Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC)

Cook, Tricia M. Tricia.Cook at schools.utah.gov
Wed Aug 17 17:00:03 MDT 2011

Dear Colleagues,
The SMARTER Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) has released the English language arts/literacy (ELA/literacy) content specifications.   The contents of this document describe the extent of the consortium's current development to specify critically important claims about student learning that are derived from the Common Core State Standards.  When finalized, these claims will serve as the basis for the Consortium's system of summative and interim assessments and its formative assessment support for teachers.
Open and transparent decision-making is one of the Consortium's central principles.  This draft of the English language arts/Literacy content specifications is being made available for comment consistent with that principle, and all responses to this work will be considered as it continues to be refined.  In addition to an official state response that is being prepared, we strongly encourage you to provide your individual/group survey response through the link below.   Your input is essential to ensure that Utah's voice is considered in the final product.
SMARTER Balanced will provide two rounds of review for the ELA/literacy and math content specifications (the math specifications will be released later this month). The first ELA/literacy draft is now available for review through August 29th (11:59 p.m. Pacific time). Instructions on how to provide feedback through online surveys for both individual reviewers and groups are included with the materials posted at:
http://www.k12.wa.us/SMARTER/Resources.aspx
In addition to the draft ELA/literacy content specifications, the link above includes press materials and a recorded webinar on evidence-based design.
Thank you for your support as we continue to collaborate on the development of our assessment system.
Judy W. Park, Ed.D.
Utah State Office of Education
Associate Superintendent
Student Services and Federal Programs