[Curriculum Directors] On behalf of Syd Dickson

Hunt, Patty Patty.Hunt at schools.utah.gov
Thu Nov 18 13:47:57 MST 2010

November 18, 2010
Curriculum Leaders,
I wanted to take this opportunity to remind you of the USOE Coordinated Meeting Day scheduled for Tuesday, November 30th. We will meet at the Jordan Auxiliary Services Building located at 7905 S. Redwood Road. The overall agenda has been set as follows:
                8:00-9:25              CTE, Adult Ed., Guidance
                9:30-10:55           Assessment and Data
                11:00-12:20         Special Education
                12:20-1:20           Lunch (on your own)
                1:20-2:45              Title I, ELL, Federal Programs
                2:50-4:10              Teaching and Learning
                *4:15-6:00           Reading Apprenticeship Reception - Seminar
Teaching and Learning has been assigned the last block of time. We will focus on the Common Core and feel this session will be very valuable for curriculum directors. This will include a discussion on implementation timelines, professional development, and hands-on experience with the CCSS. Much work is in progress throughout the state. This will be a good opportunity to ask questions and discuss ideas with colleagues regarding the CCSS. (Please RSVP to patty.hunt at schools.utah.gov<mailto:patty.hunt at schools.utah.gov> if you plan to attend.)
*Please NOTE: Reading Apprenticeship Improving Secondary Education (RAISE)
Learn more about Utah's Statewide Opportunity to Raise the Bar for Students' Future Possibilities.
Utah will be one of only 4 states in the U.S. to participate in a 5-year grant to strengthen high school students' literacy skills for reading to learn in every area of life - from science, to history, to literature, and life-long learning. Come to a reception and discussion hosted by the Utah Department of Education, Ogden Public Schools, and WestEd.

The attachment to this distribution is a newsletter intended to help keep you apprised of the work and direction of the Teaching and Learning staff.
If you have items you would like to suggest for future publication or discussion, please forward to Sydnee Dickson at sydnee.dickson at schools.utah.gov<mailto:sydnee.dickson at schools.utah.gov>.
I look forward to meeting with everyone in a couple of weeks. Please have a safe and joyful Thanksgiving.
Sincerely,
Sydnee Dickson
Director, Teaching and Learning
Utah State Office of Education