[CCGP Info] USBE Assistant Superintendent Leah Voorhies

Tsosie-Jensen, Lillian Lillian.Tsosie-Jensen at schools.utah.gov
Wed Sep 20 17:49:48 MDT 2017

Dear Superintendents and Charter School Administrators:

We are excited to announce that Dr. Leah Voorhies has been appointed as the Assistant Superintendent of Student Support. This is a newly created position that will include general oversight of special education, federal programs, equity services, and other student advocacy programs offered at the state level. Under our new USBE administrative restructure, this position, in addition to the Assistant Superintendent of Student Learning, will report to Deputy Superintendent, Dr. Patty Norman.

Dr. Voorhies has worked at the USBE as a coordinator for the Special Education Services section for the past seven years. In that position, she has demonstrated state and national leadership, including the ability to make improvements for Utah's students with disabilities through her efforts with the State Systemic Improvement Plan (SSIP), special education program evaluation, and system alignment. Dr. Voorhies is well known professionally for her calm demeanor and collaboration, rational decision-making and follow through, and innovative problem solving ability. She has a long history as an education administrator and school psychologist, including work on the Jordan School Board (2007-2012) and a Program Director/Coordinator for Utah Schools of the Deaf and Blind (USDB) (1995-2010). She has represented Utah on the National Association of School Psychologists, and served on several state-level committees. A graduate of Brigham Young University (BYU), Leah has a Doctor of Philosophy in Counseling Psychology and a M.Ed. in School Psychology.

We are working toward naming a new lead coordinator for special education, which we anticipate will be decided in the next several weeks and announced through Dr. Voorhies' office. Until that time, she will remain the primary contact for special education questions.

With appreciation,

Sydnee Dickson, Ed.D.
State Superintendent of Public Instruction