[AgEd] AET and Supervised Agricultural Experiences

Michael Pate Michael.pate at usu.edu
Thu Nov 7 13:06:24 MST 2019

Dear Teachers,
You are invited to participate in a research study conducted by myself and Dr. Lawver. We are collaborating with Montana State University and Iowa State University. The purpose of this research is to evaluate an innovative educational program to be utilized by local agricultural teachers. Therefore, improving safety practices and work environments that employ young agricultural workers between the ages of 14-18. This project is approved under USU IRB #10514
To register for the training program, click on the following link:
https://extension.psu.edu/national-safe-tractor-and-machinery-operation-program-nstmop-instructor-training
After the training is complete, resources to provide hands-on learning activities for your students can be found on the Agricultural Experience Tracker
https://theaet.com/page.aspx?ID=271
The program is designed to assist teachers with safety instruction and supervised agricultural experiences. Our hope is that you will be able to engage more students safely in supervised agricultural experiences.
We are determining the effectiveness of two types of training programs. The program series will be available to you over a two-year period. We ask you to commit completing the NSTMOP training and then use the AET resources to teach your students. Your students can earn a Tractor and Machinery Safety Awareness Certificate for their AET record book. To be included in the research you must remain employed as an active teacher for youth between the ages of 14-18 within Utah.

This year we hope to develop a Supervised Agricultural Experience Safety Award to be presented at the Utah FFA Convention. More details on that will be coming.

If you have any questions regarding the program please contact myself or Dr. Rebecca Lawver. If you are interested to participate, please contact me at 435-797-0989 or michael.pate at usu.edu
We look forward to working with you.

Michael L. Pate, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Agricultural Systems Technology
School of Applied Sciences, Technology, and Education
College of Agriculture and Applied Sciences
Utah State University
2300 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322